Keeping too large of an inventory of spare parts on hand can hinder both your budget and the physical operating space of your business. But what happens if your forklift goes down and you don’t have the necessary parts available? Your business can suffer from unnecessary downtime, and you may be forced to overpay to have the parts shipped to you overnight.
The easiest solution is partnering with Toyota Material Handling Solutions and having us handle all of your service needs. We offer a variety of maintenance plans to protect your investment — ranging from monthly planned maintenance programs that include safety inspections and routine maintenance to comprehensive plans like our VMS full maintenance programs that cover planned maintenance and breakdowns, including parts and labor.
If you prefer to perform your own maintenance and repairs; and are looking to define a critical spare part, ask yourself the following:
- Which parts do you purchase most often? This should always be your first consideration, especially if you maintain a fleet of several forklifts. You’ll need to determine which parts you most consistently replace and make sure you keep them in your on-site inventory.
- If your forklift goes down, how quickly will you need the part? If your answer is immediately, then it is a critical part. If you have a back-up forklift on hand or another solution to covering the downtime, it is not a critical part.
- Will your business suffer if you don’t have the part? If the answer to this question is yes, then it is a critical part and must be kept in your inventory.
- How long will it take to receive the part if ordered? Find out which parts Toyota Material Handling Solutions has on hand and which parts need to be ordered. If ordering a part on the spot will take too long, it is critical to have that part on hand in case of an emergency.
Have a Backup Plan
- Keep a list of those critical parts so that your technicians will always know what steps are needed to be taken in order to obtain those parts.
- If you are going to experience lengthy downtime, Toyota Material Handling Solutions has an extensive inventory of short term rental forklifts.
By being prepared and determining which parts are critical to your operation, your business could save money and most importantly, time.
Our specialists at Toyota Material Handling Solutions are here for you if you need more information on how to determine which parts are critical to your operation. Call us today at (800) 794-5438!